Lisa Ely gives us tips to get kids excited and educated about the pumpkins at the pumpkin patch!
Create a Scavenger Hunt for Your Kids When Shopping for Pumpkins:
- Find a pumpkin the size of your hand
- Find a pumpkin the size of your face
- Find a pumpkin with a long straight stem
- Find a pumpkin with a curled stem
- Find a bumpy pumpkin
Increase their Pumpkin Knowledge:
- The Stages of Pumpkin Growth
- Pumpkin pollination
- Color changes during growth.
- Different pumpkin varieties
Pumpkin Facts & Trivia:
- Pumpkins are technically a fruit, family Cucurbitacae
- Pumpkins are completely edible
- Pumpkins are grown on 6 continents, Antarctica is the only one that pumpkins are not grown on.
- The average pumpkin has 500 seeds
- Pumpkins are 90 percent water
- There are over 45 different pumpkin varieties
How to Make Pumpkin Slime:
- Cut top of pumpkin off
- Clean out pumpkin
- One bottle of White or Clear Glue
- Baking Soda
- Contact Solution
- Pumpkin Guts
Pumpkin Carving Tricks:
- Draw out your design on a piece of paper. Once you have a design you’re happy with, tape the paper against your pumpkin.
- Using a fork, poke the outlines of the design so it indents into the pumpkin. When you remove the paper, there will be holes outlining your design.
- Using a knife, carefully cut out the design by following the fork-hole outline.
- Done! Put a tealight candle in the base of your pumpkin and enjoy the spooky scenes!